- Winter Watering to Prevent Desiccation - UW Barnyards and Backyards
- Trees Need Attention to Prevent Winter Injury - Utah State University Extension
- Winter Injury - US Forest Service
The important points to remember are:
- Water when weather is above 45F throughout the winter to maintain soil moisture levels. This means getting out the hoses about once a month!
- Trees need deep watering. Simply watering your lawn in not enough to meet the water needs of the trees planted in your yard.
- Generally the growing tips and branches are not damaged so the problem is one of aesthetics and lost growth for a season or two.
- No special management is necessary, but proper care during the following spring and summer will help the trees recover.
- Select varieties that are well suited for our climate and soils.
More blog posts on Trees and Shrubs.