The Cover Crop Periodic Table is a great place to start exploring many of the different plant species that can be used as cover crops. Keep in mind that many cover crops can turn into weeds if they are not carefully managed!
For more in-depth information about cover crops, visit the Cover Crops Topic Room at Western SARE. The SmartMix cover crop calculator provided by Green Cover Seeds is another useful resource for selecting varieties. Sweet Bay Farm has a great blog documenting their experiences with cover crops and no-till practices for building soil health. I recommend their post on using a rye and vetch cover crop in the garden.
University of Wyoming Barnyards and Backyards Magazine:
- How Cover Crops Can Benefit Your Small Acreage
Washington State University Extension:
- Methods of Successful Cover Crop Management in Your Home Garden
- Cover Crops for Home Gardeners East of the Cascades (similar soils and climate to WY)
Utah State University Extension:
- Cover Crops for Utah Gardens
- Using Winter Grain as a Cover Crop in the Home Garden